The health and wellness benefits of sensory gardens for seniors are extensive. Sensory gardens, which are gardens that incorporate sound, smell, and touch, as well as sight, are a great way to get seniors outdoors. Older adults can spend time in sensory gardens to escape the hustle and bustle of traffic, noise, and pollution in congested or urban areas. These sensory gardens also provide an excellent opportunity to socialize with peers with similar interests.
At Buckner Calder Woods, we pride ourselves on providing the most desirable senior living community in Texas. We incorporate luxurious accommodations, premium dining options, and other unique amenities like sensory gardens into our beautiful community. Whether you desire the ultimate freedom of independent living or need a higher level of care, like memory care or assisted living, you can enjoy all the best that the senior lifestyle has to offer at Buckner Calder Woods. Call us today at 409.407.7636 to learn more about our full continuum of care and wide range of amenities and services.
What Is a Sensory Garden?
A sensory garden is a garden that uses different textures, smells, and sounds to stimulate the senses. It can be used in therapeutic rehabilitation programs, health care settings, senior living communities, and in your own home.
What Are the Benefits of Sensory Gardens for Seniors?
Older adults benefit from sensory gardens in many ways, making them an excellent addition to any senior living community. Some of the benefits of sensory gardens include:
- Encouraging socializing – One of the main benefits of sensory gardens is that they encourage socializing. Seniors who have difficulty getting out and about can meet others by joining a gardening club or chatting while watering the plants. Some sensory gardens contain benches where seniors can sit down and relax to enjoy nature’s beauty or get out of the house for a while, offering a chance to spend more time in the company of others.
- Reducing stress – Sensory gardens decrease stress and overwhelm. They are designed to be calming and relaxing, providing a space for seniors to enjoy themselves in a serene environment.
- Alleviating depression – Sensory gardens have been shown to decrease depression symptoms. They are often filled with plants that provide visual interest, along with other items like water features and fountains that help keep the area cool. Seniors who visit these gardens regularly can often notice an improvement in their mood as it can help them relax and unwind.
- Soothing anxiety – Sensory gardens reduce feelings of anxiety and nervousness. Being in nature has a calming effect, especially in sensory gardens where the environment is carefully curated to offer a peaceful refuge from everyday life.
- Encouraging exercise – Staying active is vital to your health and well-being. As you age, your body may start to slow down and become less able to do the things you used to do. A sensory garden is an excellent way for seniors to get exercise, regardless of fitness level. Sensory gardens are accessible by anyone who can walk or sit in a wheelchair, allowing people of all abilities and mobility levels to enjoy this wonderful activity together.
To stay healthy and happy in your senior years, it is vital that you take care of your physical and mental health. Sensory gardens have been shown to decrease symptoms of anxiety, depression, and stress. They also help prevent the isolation that tends to impair the quality of life for older adults.
Enjoy the Benefits of Sensory Gardens at Buckner Calder Woods
When you make Buckner Calder Woods your new senior living home, you will enjoy the benefits of sensory gardens and many other luxurious amenities. Call us today at 409.407.7636 to learn more about all we have to offer in our beautiful Texas senior community.