For many seniors and their families, the idea of respite care can be somewhat confusing. What is respite care for seniors, and how does it work? Would it be beneficial for your loved one? The good news is that the benefits of respite care are numerous, and you may find this option to be exactly what you need to help care for a senior in your life.
At Buckner Calder Woods, we understand that caring for a senior full-time can be overwhelming, especially if emergencies arise. We are here to help care for your loved one when you need a break or time off to attend to your own health or responsibilities. Reach out to us today at 409.407.7636 to learn more about our respite care for seniors and how it can help you and someone you love.
What Is Respite Care for Seniors?
Respite care is short-term care for seniors. It can be used on an ongoing or temporary basis, and it can help families in many situations. Respite care for seniors offers many of the same services and amenities as assisted living and other senior living facilities. When you arrange for respite care for your loved one, they will have access to:
- Temporary accommodations
- Assistance with activities of daily living like bathing and getting dressed
- Help with medication management
- Medical care as needed
- Recreational and educational activities
Choosing respite care for seniors allows you to take time off while your senior receives all the care and attention that you usually provide. Plus, they have the added bonus of various social activities with their peers.
When Can You Use Respite Care for a Loved One?
Respite care is suitable for a wide range of situations. Whether caring for an aging parent at home or providing caregiving services to others in need, respite care can help you get some much-needed relief. You may benefit from respite care for a senior in your life when:
- You need a break – If you are caring for a senior and feel like your own health and well-being are suffering, respite care could give you the time you need to rest and recover.
- You need to travel – If an emergency arises, such as the illness or passing of a loved one in another state, you may need time off to travel. Respite care assures the senior in your care will receive the services they need to keep them happy and healthy while you are away.
- You are ill or need surgery – There may be times that you are unwell and should not be around the senior to protect them from a contagious illness. It may also be difficult for you to provide care when you are sick. Or, if you need surgery, you may be physically unable to provide care for the senior while you recover. Instead of trying to push through feeling sick or put off your surgery, respite care can step in so you can take care of your needs.
One thing to keep in mind about respite care is that it has nothing to do with pushing off the responsibility of caregiving onto someone else. Everyone needs a break from time to time; it is essential for your well-being and the senior you care for.
Find Respite Care for Someone You Love at Buckner Calder Woods
If you need some time off from caregiving but want to ensure your senior is well-cared-for, you can put your trust in Buckner Calder Woods. Seniors in our respite care program enjoy all the luxury amenities and services as our long-term residents. Reach out to us today at 409.407.7636 to learn more about the benefits of respite care and how we can provide the best care for your loved one while you enjoy a well-deserved break.