If you are searching for a memory care community for a parent or another senior in your life, it is essential to ask the right questions. Before you make the call or schedule a visit, you should prepare yourself by considering what your loved one will need from memory care. Knowing what questions to ask a memory care community will help ensure that your loved one’s needs are prioritized.
At Buckner Calder Woods, we understand that you want the best for your loved one living with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia. When you select memory care at our luxury Texas senior memory care community, you can rest assured your loved one will receive the best care possible.
Call us today at 409.407.7636 with any questions to ask when choosing memory care, or to schedule a tour.
Questions to Ask When Choosing Memory Care
Choosing the right memory care community for a senior you love can be a bit overwhelming. It is best to prepare questions ahead of time before contacting a memory care facility. This way, you can get all of your questions answered in one phone call and save yourself the time of repeated calls or visits. Here are some helpful questions to ask when choosing a memory care facility.
What Is the Staff-to-Resident Ratio?
A higher staff-to-resident ratio is more desirable in a memory care community because seniors with memory disorders need a higher level of care and attention to ensure their safety and well-being.
Is the Community Accredited?
Accreditation means that an outside agency has evaluated the facility and determined that it meets specific standards. While accreditation is not required by law, it is a good indicator of quality and denotes a reputable senior living service provider. An accredited memory care community will have the following:
- Standard of care — Accreditation assures a minimum standard of care, ensuring that the community adheres to rigorous guidelines in their operations.
- Quality assurance — It provides a guarantee of quality, as accreditation bodies only certify those communities which meet their strict criteria.
- Safety measures — Accredited facilities are typically safer as they follow stringent safety protocols and procedures stipulated by the accreditation body.
- Professional staff — Accreditation often requires staff to have specific qualifications and professional training, leading to a higher level of care.
- Accountability — Accredited communities are accountable to the accrediting organization, creating an additional layer of oversight.
- Trust and confidence — For families, knowing that their loved one is in an accredited community can provide peace of mind.
Are There any Additional Fees Added to the Monthly Rate?
To help with budget planning, knowing all the costs involved in memory care is essential. While some facilities may be all-inclusive in their rates, others may have a base monthly rate with additional fees for certain services. For example, some memory care facilities may charge extra for:
- Laundry services
- Medication management
Some special amenities like salons or spas may also be provided at an additional cost.
What Activities Do You Offer?
Seniors with memory loss need regular activities to help them stay engaged and enhance their overall quality of life. One of the top questions to ask when visiting a memory care community is about the special activities offered to residents. They should be able to provide you with a calendar of events that shows a variety of activities, such as field trips, arts and crafts, music therapy, games and puzzles, and other social events.
Are Residents Allowed to Leave with Family or Caregivers for Outings?
You will likely want to visit with your loved one at the senior living community, but sometimes you may wish to take them out for lunch or a movie. Find out if the facility allows them to leave with you and if they have any restrictions or curfews for outings.
Contact Buckner Calder Woods for Memory Care in Texas
Your loved one deserves to live out their senior years in a safe and comfortable environment. When you choose Buckner Calder Woods for memory care, you are sure to be pleased with the lifestyle we offer our memory care residents.